photo by Redsie
- Ready In:
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, in sauce
- 1 teaspoon crushed dried red chili
- 2 teaspoons dried basil, more if using fresh
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 1 lb dry penne pasta
- 1⁄2 cup finely grated pecorino romano cheese, plus
- extra finely grated pecorino romano cheese, for serving
- Put oil in a heavy saucepan over medium heat.
- Add garlic cook for 5 minutes until beginning to turn golden, careful not to burn.
- Turn down to medium low.
- Add chili and stir.
- Add Tomatoes and sauce and stir.
- Put a plenty of salted water on to boil in a big saucepan.
- Cook sauce for about 20 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Cook penne until al dente.
- Strain pasta.
- Push sauce through moulie or meshed strainer into saucepan with the back of a spoon getting as much through as you can.
- Heat and add 1/2 cup of pecorino cheese.
- Taste for seasoning.
- Add cooked penne and toss.
- Serve hot with extra pecorino cheese at the table.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!