Pecan-Crusted Green Bean Casserole
photo by Fisher Nuts
- Ready In:
The green beans
- 1 1⁄4 lbs (8 oz.) green beans, ends trimmed, halved
- kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups (about 8 oz.) small white mushrooms cut into half-inch slices
- 1 cup (about 4 oz.) shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and cut into half-inch slices
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon smooth (Dijon) mustard
- 3⁄4 cup Fisher® Pecan Halves
The nut crust
- 1⁄2 cup Fisher® Pecan Halves, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup panko breadcrumbs, toasted
- 1⁄2 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Prepare the green beans: Bring 6 quarts of water to a boil in a large pot. Add 2 tablespoons salt to the water and stir in the green beans. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Fill a large bowl halfway with ice cubes and add some cold water. Place a colander squarely inside the ice bath. When the beans are cooked, remove them from the hot water with a strainer and plunge them to the colander in the ice bath. “Swirl” the beans around and submerge them in the ice water so they cool quickly. Drain.
- Make the mushroom base for the casserole: Melt the butter in a 12-inch skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic, cayenne, white button and shiitake mushrooms. Season with salt to taste and cook until the mushrooms give off most of their liquid, 8-10 minutes. Stir the flour into the mushrooms. Add the chicken stock. Stir in the cream and sour cream and simmer gently. Continue cooking over low heat until the mixture thickens, 5-8 minutes. Add in the mustard. Taste for seasoning.
- Make the pecan crust: In a medium bowl, stir together 1/2 cup of the pecans, the breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, butter and salt. Set aside.
- Assemble the casserole: Stir the green beans and the remaining 1/4 cup of pecans into the mushrooms. Simmer on the stove, over low heat, for 8-10 minutes, until the green beans become tender when pierced with the tip of a knife. Top with an even layer of the pecan crust. Transfer the skillet to the oven for 10-12 minutes to brown the crust.
- Note: You can substitute yellow wax beans for green beans or even mix in some string beans.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!