Paros Island Patates Riganates (Potatoes W/ Fresh Oregano)
These fresh oregano roasted potatoes are irresistible so make sure you have plenty for seconds! This dish is phenomenal on Paros, a Greek Island, where the local potatoes have an exceptional taste. If using small potatoes, there is no need to peel them, but be sure to halve them, so they can absorb more sauce. Adapted from The Foods of the Greek Islands by Aglaia Kremezi.
- Ready In:
- 3 lbs baking potatoes, peeled, cut into 1-1/2-inch cubes
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 1/2 cup chicken stock or 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 1⁄3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 -3 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place the potatoes in a single layer in a 13X9 dish and pour the oil over them. Add garlic, dried oregano, salt & pepper to taste. Toss to coat with oil.
- Bake potatoes for 15 minutes.
- Add stock, toss and bake for 10 minutes more.
- Add lemon juice, toss and bake for 10 to 15 minutes more, or until the potatoes are cooked through.
- Preheat broiler and broil potatoes for a couple minutes, until golden.
- Sprinkle with fresh oregano. Serve immediately.