Paniscia Alla Novara (Risotto Novara Style)
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
Speciality of the Restaurante Cambio, Torino, Piemonte, Italia as noted on a clipping from a magazine artlcle in my grandmother's recipe box.
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 20mins
- 1 lb savoy cabbage
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 stalks white celery, trimmed and sliced
- 1 leek, trimmed and diagonally sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 8 ounces borlotti beans
- 4 slices bacon, very fatty and chopped thinly
- 1⁄2 lb ground Italian sausage
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- salt, to taste
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 lb risotto rice (Arborio)
- In a large saucepan put all the vegetables, salt and dried herbs; pour in water to cover and bring to boil.
- Cover and cook gently for 5 minutes.
- Add beans and keep cooking for 60-80 minutes. The soup must not be too thick.
- In a large saucepan put oil, bacon and sausage. Crumble sausage while cooking. Cook gently for 3-5 minutes and then stir in rice. Cook for 3-4 minutes until rice looks milky.
- Add wine, and simmer until absorbed, stirring. At this point add 2 ladlefuls of the vegetable soup and simmer until absorbed, stirring.
- Keep on adding soup, ladle by ladle, until rice is tender.
- Serve after 10-15 minutes.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION