Pahadiya Lamb Tarkari
Classic Nepali Tender Lamb Curried in Tomato and Himalayan Herbs, Mountain Style. It is a simple dish that is hearty and satisfying. Perfect for mountain trekkers.
- Ready In:
- 2 lbs lamb, cut into 1-in . cubes
- 3 cups onions, chopped
- 2 cups tomatoes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 2 dried red chilies
- 2 cups broth or 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon gingerroot, minced
- 4 tablespoons cooking oil
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro (to garnish)
- In large bowl, season lamb pieces with salt and pepper.
- In a non-stick pan, heat two tablespoons of oil.
- Add seasoned lamb pieces and brown well; discard excess oil and reserve meat on a plate.
- In a non-stick sauce pan, heat oil.
- To the hot oil, add whole red chilies; fry for 30 sec.
- Add turmeric and chopped onions, and fry until brown.
- Put garlic and ginger into the onion mixture; fry for 30 sec.
- To this mixture, add cumin, chili powder, grated nutmeg and chopped tomatoes; mix well for a few minutes.
- Transfer browned lamb pieces into the spice mixture, add salt and pepper; stir well.
- Add broth to the browned lamb; lower the heat to low and let simmer until lamb pieces are tender, and the sauce has attained a thick, saucy consistency, about 35-45 minute.
- When cooked, turn off the heat and add chopped cilantro to garnish.
- Serve hot with rice, and or roti (flat bread).
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION