Low & Slow Oven-Dried Tomatoes
I love these tomatoes. They're delicious in pastas, salads and sandwiches. I think they taste much better than the sun-dried tomatoes from a jar.
- Ready In:
- 6hrs 15mins
- 12 -15 just ripe plum tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- dried oregano
- dried basil
- garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 200 F.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Lightly oil parchment paper.
- Cut plum tomatoes in half lengthwise and remove seeds.
- Arrange tomatoes, cut side up, sprinkle lightly with salt, sugar, dried oregano, dried basil and garlic powder.
- Place tomatoes cut side DOWN on oiled parchment paper.
- Bake in oven for 2 hours.
- Remove from oven and turn tomatoes so that the cut side is UP.
- Bake for additional 2-6 hours (depending on how dried you want the tomatoes).
- Remove from oven and cool completely.
- To store, transfer tomatoes to jar and cover with olive oil.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
I have never eaten sun-dried tomatoes but some of the recipes I make call for just a little bit of it. When I saw the price of a small jar of them I decided I could either make my own or go without them. I found your recipe and gave it a try. I used Roma tomatoes and quartered them. I removed that hard core and seeds. Threw everything in a bowl and mixed good. I baked for an hour, turned them over, baked 2 more hours and turned again. I baked 1 more hour and figured they were done. I'm not that much of a tomato eater so I closed my eyes, opened my mouth and put one in. mmmmmm very good indeed. I'll make these again, they were so easy to make.
I have had this recipe written down for ages but only made it recently when I managed to find some small ripe plum tomatoes. I was a bit disappointed in the beginning as they were very plump and juicy and I think I was expecting them to be more like sun-dried tomatoes. However when I tried them a few days later after storing them in glass jars with olive oil I was converted. They are absolutely delicious. I eat them in sandwiches with feta cheese. Heaven!