Osso Buco Milanese
photo by Gatorbek
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 30mins
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- salt and pepper
- 6 pieces veal shanks, 1/2-pound each
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 large carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
- 2 bay leaves, crushed
- 3 tablespoons fresh marjoram or 1 tablespoon dried marjoram
- 1 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 lemon, rind of, grated
- 1 1⁄2 cups dry white wine
- 1 (19 ounce) can Italian plum tomatoes, drained, coarsely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 4 teaspoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- Combine flour, salt and pepper in a plastic bag.
- Add veal shanks and coat with flour mixture.
- Heat oil in a large skillet and brown veal on both sides.
- Remove veal from skillet, reduce heat and add butter, carrots, onion, celery, garlic, bay leaves, marjoram, basil, parsley and lemon rind.
- Saute for 5 minutes.
- Add wine and continue cooking for 5 minute more.
- Stir in tomatoes and broth.
- Place veal in a casserole with the sauce and bake, covered, at 325 for 2 hours.
- Garnish with gremolata.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Please note that instructions call for adding basil while there is no basil listed in the ingredients. I added 2 Tbs fresh frozen basil. The prep was easy as pie. I did take the time to truss around the shanks w/ butcher;s twine so as to keep the meat intact. I also baked with the larger side of the bones down so that they would braise and the tops would brown. As another modification, I used veal broth as opposed to chicken (I like a darker sauce) All in all a delightful dining experience. I highly recommend this recipe
This was wonderful! The whole family ate it up, I've got almost no leftovers! I did reduce the sauce a bit in the skillet after removing from the oven. I served this with orzo lightly seasoned with the leftover juice from the can of tomatoes and a dash of lemon juice. Yummmmm! (Made for Newest Zaar Tag 08)
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>Hi and thanks for visiting my AM page. My name is Vicki and I love to cook. I've always been an avid collector of recipes and cookbooks - in fact I have over 1200 cookbooks on my computer alone.</p> 8724165"