Orange Slice Cake
photo by Vindwyn
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 15mins
- 3 1⁄2 cups flour, sifted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 lb orange slice candy, cut up
- 8 ounces dates, pitted, chopped
- 2 cups pecans, chopped
- 3 1⁄2 ounces coconut, flaked
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup orange juice
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- Sift flour and salt (if using); set aside.
- Combine orange slice candy, pitted dates, pecans and coconut; set aside.
- Beat butter until light. While beating, gradually add sugar. Beat eggs, then add to butter and sugar.
- Combine baking soda and buttermilk.
- Add milk alternating with flour mixture. Blend well after each addition.
- Add candy mixture, mixing well.
- Turn into a 10-inch tube pan that has been greased and floured. Bake for 1 hour and 45 minutes at 300 degrees.
- Remove from oven; combine orange juice and sugar and mix well.
- TOPPING Combine orange juice and sugar. Mix well. Pour over cake.
I made this cake for Christmas last year. I will never make a traditional fruitcake again. This cake was off the chain! My family is already requesting it thus year. The only change that I made was using cake flour and adding bourbon and gran Marnier to the glaze and soaking it for 24 - 48 hours before serving. While it is an expensive cake to make, it is so worth it!
This cake was very easy to make, and it smelled delicious baking in the oven. My late grandmother used to make orange slice cake every Christmas, so it was nice to be able to bring this to my family's Christmas dinner this year. Everyone really enoyed it. I followed the recipe exactly--except for not sifting the flour and powdered sugar.