- Ready In:
- 3hrs 30mins
- Clean and wash the oranges.
- Cut off the top 1/4 of the oranges and shave a small slice off the bottom so it stands easily.
- Using a grapefruit knife, cut out the flesh of the oranges and place in a strainer set over a bowl.
- Be careful not to cut through the bottom.
- Stand the oranges on a cookie sheet and place in the freezer and freeze until solid.
- Press the flesh of the oranges through the strainer to extract all of the juice.
- You should end up with about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cups of orange juice.
- Add the extra 4 cups orange juice. Stir in sugar, a tablespoon at a time, until the mixture is of desired sweetness. Add the basil and orange-flavored liqueur and let sit for 15 minutes.
- Strain the mixture into a roasting pan or baking dish.
- The dish should be large enough so the liquid is not more than 1-inch deep. Freeze the mixture for 1 hour.
- Remove from the freezer and scrape with 2 forks to break up ice.
- Return to the freezer and freeze until solid, about 2 to 3 hours, scraping with forks every hour or so.
- When the granite is frozen, scoop it into the orange shells and serve immediately.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I love food, it is my life. I'm actualy planning to leave my southern homeland, (after highschool) for a few years and attend the culinary institute of america. But untill then i will contiinue to cook passionatly.