Wonderful rich date flavour.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons orange rind, finely shredded
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3⁄4 cup frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
- 1⁄3 cup cooking oil
- 1 (8 ounce) package dates, pitted, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup pecans or 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- In a large mixing bowl stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, orange peel, baking soda, and salt.
- In another mixing bowl stir together eggs, 1/2 cup of the thawed orange juice concentrate, the oil, and 1-1/2 cups water.
- Add to flour mixture. Stir by hand just until combined. Fold in dates and nuts.
- Divide mixture evenly between two greased 8"x4"x2" loaf pans. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 50 to 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the centers comes out clean. (Or, divide mixture evenly among four 5-1/2"x3"x2" loaf pans and bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until loaves test done.).
- Cool in pans for 10 minutes; remove from pans.
- Generously brush tops and sides of loaves with remaining orange juice concentrate. Cool thoroughly on wire racks.
- Wrap and store overnight before slicing.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
A lovely loaf (couldn't wait a day to sample!)with rich date flavour and undertones of orange. It's no butter, no milk, low sugar, and lends itself to various sizes of baking dishes. Made 2 medium sized loaves in 50 minutes of baking. Hearty and comforting autumn fare. No fuss recipe, well presented, easy to follow. Thanks, Dancer!