Orange Custard Tarts
- Ready In:
- 2 sheets phyllo pastry
- cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons custard powder
- 250 ml skim milk (1 cup)
- 2 teaspoons caster sugar (or s teaspoons of sugar substitute)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon orange zest (finely grated)
- 1 orange (small skinned and white pith removed sliced into rounds)
- Preheat oven to 180C (fan forced).
- Place 1 pastry sheet on a clean surface and spray with cooking spray and then top with the second pastry sheet and spray with cooking spray.
- Cut in half lengthways, then cut each half into 4 even sized pieces to make 8 pieces in total.
- Use 4 pieces to line each of 2 x 3cm deep 8.5cm (base measurement) loose bottom, fluted flan tines.
- Trim pastry edges and place tins on a baking tray and bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until pastry is light golden brown.
- Meanwile, put custard powder in a small saucepand and gradually whisk in the milk and cook, stirring over a medium heat for 6 to 7 minutes or until custard comes to a simmer and thickens.
- Remove pan from heat, stir in sugar and orange zest and set aside for 5 minutes to cool slightly.
- Carefully remove pastry cases from tins and put on plates.
- Whisk the custard until smooth and pour into pastry cases and top with the orange slices.
- Set aside for 15 minutes to cool completely and then serve.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
With the demise of the forums and with no more interaction on site with what was a great community and it was a pleasure to get to know so many of you over the years and to have had the privilege of meeting some of you in person. For me now this is just another recipe site like to many on the net, it has lost its specialness, such a pity especially when Scripps changed the name from Recipezaar to Food.com and made this statement sorry cannot replicate here as considered invalid but they basically said yes the community was valuable hence .com was short for community but it was a pack of lies as they were not willing to put the money into that community and got rid of the forums which was the community so for .com has become .crap.