Orange-Cumin Black Beans over Rice
- Ready In:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 shallot, finely diced (or 1/2 small yellow onion)
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1 - 1 1⁄2 cup white rice or 1 -1 1/2 cup quick-cooking brown rice
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup low sodium chicken broth or 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 -2 teaspoon chili powder or 1 -2 teaspoon dried chipotle powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add in the shallot and celery; saute for 5-7 minutes until they are tender
- Meanwhile, start the rice; cook according to package directions.
- Add the beans and next 7 ingredients to the shallot celery mixture; bring to a boil.
- Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Serve the beans over the cooked rice; you can sprinkle the beans with hot pepper sauce, such as Tabasco sauce, if desired.
- Omit or reduce the brown sugar if you want the dish to be less sweet.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!