Onions in White Sauce
photo by kimcroft
- Ready In:
- 1hr 32mins
- 4 1⁄2 lbs white pearl onions, peeled (6 jars Sm. onions can also be used)
- 4 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup cheddar cheese (4 oz.)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 tablespoons crushed saltine crackers
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Lightly grease a 13x9 inch baking dish.
- Bring onions to a boil in a large pot. Cover, reduce heat to medium low and simmer 45 to 50 minutes until tender. Drain well.
- Melt butter in a medium sized saucepan over low heat. Whisk in flour until blended, then gradually add the half and half and milk. Increase heat and simmer 3 to 4 minutes whisking often. Remove from heat, whisk cheese until melted, then salt, nutmeg, and red pepper.
- Put onions in baking dish. Pour cream sauce over top and sprinkle with cracker crumbs and paprika. Bake 25 minutes until hot and bubbly.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!