Old-Fashioned Yellow Cake With Chocolate Icing
When I first got married, my husband told me that his favorite cake was a simple yellow cake with chocolate icing. I wanted to make a birthday cake for him from scratch, and this was the result. He never would eat a box cake again! This is especially nice with a tall glass of milk.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 1 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 whole egg
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 1⁄2 cups sifted cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 egg whites
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, cut into 8 pieces
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- To make cake, preheat oven to 350°F
- In a large bowl, beat shortening until light.
- Slowly beat in sugar.
- Add egg and egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Sift flour with baking powder and salt.
- Add to batter in 3 parts, alternating with 3 parts milk.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Beat egg whites until stiff.
- Fold into batter.
- Pour batter into two buttered and floured 8-inch round cake pans.
- Bake for about 25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack before icing.
- To make icing, in top of a double boiler over simmering water, melt chocolate and stir in condensed milk. Beat until smooth.
- Stir in butter, one piece at a time, stirring after each addition. Stir in egg yolk and vanilla. Beat until smooth and thick. (If the icing becomes too thick, thin with a little hot water.).