Old-Fashioned So. Georgia Cracker Salad (Extremely Easy)
photo by Tinkerbell
- Ready In:
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can whole tomatoes
- 1 sleeve saltine crackers, crushed (leave a bit chunky)
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 6 large eggs, hard-boiled, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium bell pepper, chopped (optional ... I love it both ways)
- salt and pepper
- Pour tomatoes (including juice) in a large boil. Using your hands, squeeze each tomatoe through your fingers (be careful you don't squirt the juice on you -- I poke each one good with my fingers gently before I commence squeezing) until they look crushed but still chunky. Yes, you can buy already crushed tomatoes but I don't like their texture -- almost like a sauce instead of crushed tomatoes.
- To the tomatoes, add remaining ingredients and stir. If appears to dry for you, add a LITTLE more mayo.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Tastes just as great either fresh made or after refrigerated.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Delicious, Moonchild! Mine doesn't quite look like *Tink*'s, but I think that is because I used a little more mayo than she did. I'm sure you know how we southerners like our mayo! Too bad I couldn't make it with Duke's, but it never quite made it out West! Thnx for sharing your recipe. It was certainly enjoyed, and tasted even better the next day!
see 1 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<img src="http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/ZaarNicksMom/PACsticker-Adopted.jpg"> I'm a Southern Gal ... Georgia born and raised. I have 3 wonderful grown children and 4 totally delightful g-babes (they call me Ya-ya). I love to cook and try new dishes. I am mostly a So. Ga. country cook hough I refuse to deep fry anything. Instead, I oven fry a good bit and mostly I bake. I just bought myself a bread machine (found it brand new ... never been opened ... at a Goodwill store for only $24.00 !!! Good deal! The recipes in the booklet were awful so I searched for more and found, not only a great roll recipe, but I also discovered the wonderful world of RecipeZaar! I do believe I am really going to like this place!