Oh My!! Caramel Cake! Gluten, Dairy - Free!
This cake is divine! Set aside all your notions of gluten free food. This cake is dense, moist, and delicious!
- Ready In:
- 1 (15 ounce) package yellow gluten-free cake mix (such as Betty Crocker)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 8 ounces coconut yogurt
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 3 tablespoons warm water
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 8 tablespoons margarine (such as Earth Balance Soy-Free)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup almond milk (or dairy substitute)
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare an 8 x 8 square pan or bundt pan with non-stick spray and gluten free flour.
- Combine all cake ingredients into a mixer and mix thoroughly, making sure you scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl to incorporate all the flour.
- Pour into pan and place into oven. Bake at 350 for 40-50 minutes, until cake springs back when lightly pressed with your finger and there are no soft spots.
- Prepare frosting by melting margarine and brown sugar and whisking together in a saucepan over medium heat. Add milk and vanilla, then bring to a boil while whisking. Remove from heat immediately and add 1.5 cups of the sugar while whisking.
- Add up to 1/2 cup more sugar as needed to thicken the frosting. Add more almond milk or dairy substitute to thin the mixture if it gets too thick. As it cools, it will thicken further. Pour/Ladle over your completely cooled cake while frosting is warm.
- Store the cake in an airtight container at room temperature. Do not refrigerate. Consume within 3-4 days.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Goodness gracious this was good!Cake wasn't grainy as some other g.f. baked goods can be...Moist,tastey,soft,& perfect for my hubbys birthday!I only used the cake portion as I had another frosting I wanted to use.That & I only had two eggs so I used more yogurt..that also cut some of the calories down!Even better!Even with my alterations I felt still deserved five starts!Thanks for posting2Reply