Nyonya Fried Rice
- Ready In:
- 1 cup long grain rice, cooked
- 1 tablespoon dried prawns
- 2 fresh red chilies
- 2 shallots, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon shrimp paste
- 1 teaspoon light soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 5 teaspoons dark soy sauce
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 spring onion, finely sliced
- Soak the prawns in water for 30 mins, drain them. Chop the prawns.
- Pound the shallots set aside. Pound the garlic and set aside.
- Pound the chillies, set aside.
- Heat a deep frying pan and add the sesame oil. When the oil is hot fry the shallots and garlic.
- Reduce the heat and add the chillies and prawns, stir 30 seconds.
- Add the shrimp paste, stir till it dissolves.
- Add the cooked rice and the soy sauces, stir to mix the ingredients . Set the pan aside.
- In a wok, heat 3 tbsp oil, when hot add the egg and cover it with the rice, cook till the egg is just cooked. Fry the whole, mixing the egg into the rice.
- Add the spring onion and season with salt to taste.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
One cup of cooked rice is not enough to serve four. I'd increase it to 3 or 4 cups if I'm serving four diners. Also, I'd reduce the dark sauce to 1 tsp and instead add 1 tsp of veggie or chicken stock powder while frying the rice - to keep things dry (less soggy) and more aromatic. Otherwise, a very tasty dish!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY