Nouc Mam Cham (Vietnamese Dipping Sauce)
photo by Ambervim
- Ready In:
- 3⁄4 cup three crabs fish sauce (I got 5 Crabs Brand by mistake and it was good)
- 3 tablespoons squid brand fish sauce (saltier)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2⁄3 cup white vinegar
Add after cooled in fridge 2-3 hours
- sambal chili sauce (Thai Chilis, Jalapeno or Red pepper flakes could also be used) or chopped fresh serrano chili (Thai Chilis, Jalapeno or Red pepper flakes could also be used)
- 1 lime juice (lemon too is great)
- 3 -4 teaspoons garlic, chopped
- shredded carrot
- Place the simmered ingredients in a pot and bring to a simmer. Do NOT out and out boil, just bring to a gently simmmer.
- I prefer to use chilis that have seeds and stems removed. Finely slice or maybe chop them. I find it has a smoother, cleaner taste. Vary the amount based size of chili, heat and your preference. Think 1 average size jalapeno for this size batch.
- After cooling, add the chilis, juice of 1 lime (adding a little lemon will make it even better) and the finely chopped garlic.
- If it is too salty for you add a little water or lemon or lime juice to taste.
- Serve in shallow bowls with some shredded carrots.
- It is wonderful for spring rolls and great on Bun or wherever Nouc Cham is requested.
- It will keep in the fridge for a fe months.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
As I am in South Florida, I have many edible fruits and perennial veggies in my yard. So, I like to cook with them.