Norwegian Butter Cookies (Spritz)
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄2 cups butter, softened (3 sticks)
- 1 cup sugar (we've used Splenda with good results, too)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- colored sugar sprinkle (for decorating)
- Preheat oven to 350°F In a large bowl cream the butter, beat in the sugar, a little at a time, the vanilla, and the almond extract, and beat the mixture until it is light and fluffy.
- Add the egg and combine the mixture well.
- Add the flour mixture and combine the dough well.
- Form the dough into walnut-size balls and arrange the balls 3 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets. Either flatten with the bottom of a glass or take a fork and using the back flatten the balls to approximately 1/2 inch to 1/3 inch thick, making a crosshatch design (like you see on peanut butter cookies). Sprinkle with colored sugar.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or until they are barely golden around the edges, and transfer them with a spatula to racks to cool. Store the cookies in airtight containers.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am a married cruise-only travel agent with two stepsons, aged 20 and 25. It took a while to get the boys used to my cooking, as they were raised on fast food and pre-packaged foods (i.e. mac-n-cheese from the blue box, frozen dinners, Chef Boyardee, McDonalds, etc.). My mother is from Spain and I lived there as well as Germany, England and Italy growing up, which influenced both my career and my cuisine!</p> 8726943"