North African Couscous Paella
- Ready In:
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon coriander, ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 2 cups vegetable stock, hot
- 225 g prawns, shelled pre-cooked or 250 g tofu, cubed
- 1 cup peas, fresh or frozen
- 1 cup couscous
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 100 g almonds, flaked and toasted
- salt and pepper
- parsley, fresh chopped
- lemon wedge
- Heat oil in saucepan. Add the peppers, scallions, garlic, coriander, turmeric and cayenne. Saute over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the stock or water. Add the shrimp or tofu and cook for another 3 to 4 minutes, until the shrimp is pink. Stir in the peas and cook for another minute.
- Mix in the couscous and butter or margarine. Cover, remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Uncover the pan, and using a fork, fluff up the couscous and break up any lumps.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve on a platter, topped with toasted almonds, parsley and lemon wedges.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!