New Zealand Shepherd's Pie
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 500 g lean ground beef
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 420 g pasta sauce
- 500 ml water
- 10 button mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 1 zucchini, finely diced
- 3 cups mashed potatoes
- Brown the mince and garlic in the oil in a hot pan, breaking the mince up into small pieces with wooden spoon or potato masher.
- Add chopped veges, pasta sauce and water, stirring after each addition.
- Bring to a simmer and half cover pot. Cook 10-15 mins or until most of liquid evaporated and veges are soft to touch.
- Spoon mixture into casserole dish and top with mashed potato (you can pipe it or just pile it on and smooth out the top).
- Bake at 180°C for about 15 minutes or until top is golden.
- Suggestions: I add grated cheese, milk and a pinch of green herb seasoning to the potato before mashing, then fill a plastic bag, cut the corner off and pipe it in a nice pattern over the top.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I made this with fish insead of beed because of coming easter and i do not eat meat now these days. It worked just great! I only gave 4 stars because of that change i made so it would not confuse further chefs who really should try this simple way to make Shepherd's Pie. I had it in the oven for 20 minutes and did not use cheese. The mash was woderfully crispy on top and soft on the bottom, perfect! made for PAC spring 2009
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Kiwi-indian chick married to a spunky Lebanese-Armenian biker boy in October 2007. Am a picky eater and very health conscious. Am trying to learn to cook food which is healthy enough for me, and tasty enough for my hubby!! Work as a registered nurse, together we have 3 cats with gourmet tastebuds too!! One day I'd like to have enough confidence to throw a dinner party for our friends...