Nancy Silverton's Mixed Berry Crostata
photo by lilsweetie
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup cake flour
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup butter, cold, but into pieces
- 2 tablespoons ice water
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups berries, mixed (fresh blackberries, blueberries, cut-up strawberries)
- 5 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon coarse sugar
- For crostata dough: Combine flours, sugar and salt in an electric mixer or food processor. Distribute the butter over the top; mix or pulse until the butter is thoroughly incorporated and the mixture resembles moist cornmeal.
- Combine the ice water and vanilla; sprinkle over the top of the dough. Mix until the dough comes together and pulls cleanly away from the sides of the bowl.
- Remove the dough from the bowl; flatten it into a disk. wrap in plastic wrap; refrigerate until ready to use.
- For crostata: Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Toss together the berries, sugar and cornstarch in a medium bowl; stir gently until well coated. Set aside.
- Roll the crostata dough out on a lightly floured surface to a roughly 16-inch diameter circle. Leave it a little thick; the added texture is better. Transfer the dough to a cookie sheet. Place the fruit mixture in the center. Distribute fruit in a low mound, leaving a 2-inch border.
- Fold the edges of the dough over the fruit to form a 6-sided tart, with the fruit showing in the center. Fold one edge over, then fold the second edge over, pleating the dough as necessary and pressing firmly on the pleat.
- Lightly brush the dough with a little water; sprinkle with coarse sugar. Bake until the crust is brown and the fruit is soft and thickened, 30 to 35 minutes. Rotate the crostata halfway through baking for even coloring. Cool 10 minutes before cutting.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!