Mulled Apple Juice
photo by Outta Here
- Ready In:
- 2 quarts water
- 1 (12 ounce) container apple juice concentrate
- 1 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick, broken into pieces
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon whole cloves
- 6 green cardamom pods
- 1⁄4 teaspoon whole black peppercorn
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried ginger, pieces
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cassia chips
- 1⁄2 teaspoon orange zest
- Mix the water and juice concentrate together and pour into a large teapot or 3 quart saucepan.
- Add all spices to juice, cover, and bring to a boil for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat but keep the lid on.
- Allow to cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Strain through cheesecloth or wire mesh strainer into serving container.
- This drink keeps well in the refrigerator to be reheated by stove or microwave for single serving or later use.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Perfect for the last throes of winter here (I hope). What attracted me to this recipe is the lack of added sugar, and the use of star anise and cardamom. They made a nice change from the usual spiced cider. Very tasty! I did mine in my smaller crockpot and simmered it for about 4 hours. Made for TOP FAVORITES of 2009 COOKBOOKS TAG GAME
I loved this mulled juice so much that I have made it three times now. Each time is as good as the first. This lovely hot n spicy juice, has been the perfect antedote for all the rain we have been getting here. Thank you so much for sharing this quick and easy to make treat. Which I will be enjoying often.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm a newlywed recently transplanted from the Pacific Northwest to Central California. I've been cooking for as long as I can remember and am always willing to try out new things. I look forward to finding new recipes and meeting new people here on 'Zaar. Onward to the kitchen!