Mrs. Goldman's Brisket
- Ready In:
- 2 -4 bell peppers
- 1 (16 ounce) bag of prepeeled carrots
- 1 yellow onion
- 6 stalks celery
- 1 beef brisket
- 1 dash garlic
- 1 dash ground pepper
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package onion soup mix
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce (optional)
- The amount of vegetables listed in the ingredients are estimated based on the size pan I use. Cut up enough of the vegetables to cover the bottom of the pan. Green bell peppers can be used but I prefer a variety of different colors and use at least one green, one red and one orange -- sometimes I also use a yellow pepper.
- Put the brisket on top of the vegetables fat side up. Season with garlic powder and ground pepper to taste. Sprinkle ONE packet of onion soup mix. Be sure to check that the Goodman's soup mix is marked kosher for Passover as they make one that is for use year round. You can add a small can of tomato sauce on top if desired. I like using this as it makes for a thicker gravy.
- Pour water into the pan almost to the top of the meat and cover with foil, shinny side down. Cook in the oven at 350 degrees.
- After about two hours take a fork and stick it into the meat. If the fork goes in easily remove it from the oven and cut. Return the beef to the pan.
- Puree the vegetables and pour over the meat. Cook again for another hour. It may take 3 hours for the meat to be tender enough to be cut but don't let it get too tender because then it will fall apart.
- The remaining liquid can be used as a gravy for the meat and other dishes at your meal.
- Serving size is dependent upon the size of your brisket.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!