Moong Dal With Millet
I wanted something with pulses and millet for breakfast, so put together several different recipes for upma and moong dal and developed this one. You can either add some fresh baby spinach or chopped chard or whatever vegetable you like. It's also good to use up leftover vegetables.
- Ready In:
- 1⁄8 cup mung dal
- 1⁄8 cup millet
- 1⁄2 tablespoon palm oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 5 curry leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 inch ginger, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1 cup water, boiling
- 1 teaspoon salt
- pepper, to taste
- 1 ounce Baby Spinach, or
- 1 ounce chard leaves, chopped
- In a medium pan heat palm oil (can substitute coconut oil or olive oil), then add mustard seeds and cover. ATTENTION: The seeds splutter and might pop into your face, so make sure you cover the pan and wait until the spluttering stops.
- Add ginger, curry leaves, cumin seeds and moong dal, stir fry for about two minutes, then add the tomato paste, tumeric and salt.
- Reduce heat, stir well for some seconds, then pour in boiling water, cover again and let simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add millet, stir, cover again and let simmer for another 30 minutes.
- After 15 minutes have a look if the water is absorbed. If It's absorbed, add some more boiling water.
- After 30 minutes the liquid should be absorbed.
- Stir in vegetables, heat through and season with pepper to taste.