Mom's Chicken & Potato Moussaka
- Ready In:
- 3 lbs potatoes
- 1⁄3 cup milk (or probably less)
- 2 ounces butter
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon cumin (or more)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 2 -3 eggs (depending on size)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme or 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Boil the potatoes, peel them and smash them in a bowl together with the butter and some salt and add enough milk to get a soft but by no means liquid mass (in fact it’s up to you to decide how thick you want it to be).
- In a frying pan put the 2 tbl oil, the chicken, the tomato paste, cumin, pepper, nutmeg and some salt and start frying dividing the meat with a fork until it starts to fall apart into crumbs.
- Grease a baking tin with the remaining oil (don’t forget the sides too), spread half of the potatoes on the bottom, pour the chicken over them and cover it with the remaining potatoes.
- Preheat the oven to a medium temperature and put the moussaka in and let it heat for 5 min.
- In a bowl beat the yogurt with the eggs the thyme, a bit of salt and some black pepper.
- Pour the yogurt mixture over the moussaka and bake until it gets golden brown (about 10-15 min).
- When ready take out of the oven and leave to cool a bit – potatoes cool very slowly.
- Serve very warm.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
What can I say? I love to cook. And I love to eat. <br> <br>As I am Bulgarian and as I live in Bulgaria I'm bound to do and to post the recipes for many typical Bulgarian or Balkan dishes - like the potato moussaka, the tikvenik and the tarator. You can check out all those and some other Bulrarian recipes posted by other people on the site in my specially devised public cookbook. I hope you try and like them. Bon apetit!