Mock Pot Roast and Vegetables
photo by breezermom
- Ready In:
- 1hr 45mins
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb ground pork
- 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 3 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 8 small carrots
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and halved or 8 -10 small potatoes, peeled
- 16 small white onions (frozen or fresh peeled)
- frozen peas
- Mix ground beef and pork together with rolled oats.
- Mix in eggs, ketchup, dry mustard, 2 teaspoons salt, and pepper.
- Shape into a loaf in a shallow greased baking pan large enough for meat loaf and vegetables.
- Brush with gravy browning sauce, if using.
- Arrange carrots, potatoes, and onions around meatloaf.
- Sprinkle with remaining teaspoon of salt.
- Cover pan with foil; bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 40 minutes.
- Uncover and add peas.
- Replace cover and bake for another 30 minutes.
- Uncover and baste meat loaf with pan juices.
- Bake 5 minutes longer, or until vegetables are tender.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This is so good, I'm not sure I can trust the calorie and fat content listed by food.com! I did have to cook it a bit longer because the veggies were still hard and the meat was a bit pink, but otherwise I followed the recipe. I've always done meatloaf and mashed potatoes, but this is a wonderful alternative. Thanks for sharing your great recipe!
I made it while I was visiting my parents. My mother didn't have a baking pan large enough to fit the meat and the veggies so the veggies were packed. I should have brought a very large pan LOL We omitted the peas cause the only bag she got was with other veggies. We used onions, that we cut in quarters. We didn't have any liquid at the end. So my mother made a quick pepper gravy from Bovril. It was great with it. Thanks Annacia :) Made for 123 hit wonders
This is very good! I used all lean ground beef and substituted dried breadcrumbs for the quick-cooking oats (personal preference). I also couldn't find small pearl onions, fresh or frozen, so I just used a fresh vidalia onion chopped up. The peas are a nice addition. I don't normally care for peas, but they really are good in this recipe. I did find that I had to bake this longer than the time indicates. I also uncovered it after the first 30 minutes to help it get more brown. Very good and I will make this one again! Made for Photo Tag.
see 1 more reviews