Minnie's Chocolate Pie from the Help
I saw the movie, The Help, this weekend and it was excellent. Then the sermon on Sunday included a reference to it. I wanted to have the recipe for Minnie's pie - NOT the one she made ONLY for Hilly!!!!!. Maybe someone else wants it, so here it is.
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons cocoa
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 5 ounces Pet milk (evaporated)
- 2 eggs
- 1 pie crust, uncooked
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Mix everything together in one big bowl.
- You don’t have to bake the crust first, prick the bottom of it.
- Pour filling into crust.
- Bake for about 50 minutes. Let the pie set for a long while once it comes out of the oven. I think this definitely tastes better room temperature.
- If you’d like, serve with a big scoop of ice-cream, some fruit, a little whipped cream, or straight out of the pie plate!
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Good recipe, really tasty but very sweet! It's not altogether helpful that the metric recipe lists everything in ml, would be great if it could be done in grams. It went down a treat last time but was a little too sweet, trying it again today with a modification or two to the recipe, going to decrease the sugar and add some more cocoa and a teaspoon of coffee. I'll let you know how it goes.Reply
This was not very hard to make, but the result was not thick and creamy like truffle filling, it was like a semi-gelatinous version of chocolate hard candy. Extremely sugary, enough to provoke stomach problems if not downed with a cup of strong coffee. I had one slice and threw the rest away. I would be embarrassed to offer this to friends.Reply