Michelle Obama's Shortbread Cookies
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 1 1⁄2 cups unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons Amaretto
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 3 cups cake flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg white, beaten
- Heat oven to 325 degree F. Line a 17 x 12 x 1-inch baking pan with nonstick foil.
- Cream together butter and 1-1/2 cups of the sugar, and then add egg yolks, beating mixture until smooth.
- Beat in Amaretto and zest, before stirring in flour and salt.
- Spread dough evenly into pan, making it smooth and flat as possible.
- Brush top of dough with egg white; sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons sugar. Bake at 325 degree F for 25 minutes or until brown.
- Turn off oven and allow cookies to sit in oven, with door ajar, for 15 minutes. Cut while slightly warm.
Join The Conversation