Mexican Grilled Cheese Sandwich
photo by Julie Bs Hive
- Ready In:
- 4 slices French bread
- 2 slices swiss cheese
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 teaspoons roasted jalapenos, minced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon taco seasoning
- In a small bowl, combine taco seasoning with the butter until fully mixed.
- Thinly coat 1 side of each bread slice with butter mixture.
- Heat skillet to medium. When hot, lay down 2 of the four slices of bread, buttered side down.
- On each slice in the skillet, layer 1 slice of Swiss cheese, 1 teaspoon of the minced roasted jalapenos and 1/2 of the cheddar. Top each sandwich with the remaining bread slices, buttered side UP. (I actually put a little bit more of the jalapeno pieces into the butter mixture before spreading it.).
- Cover skillet and turn pan to medium low. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Uncover and flip when sandwiches have reached desired brownness. Raise heat to medium or medium-high and continue cooking until other side is to your preferred brownness.
- Goes perfectly with a good bowl of soup!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I just loved what the taco seasoning did to the butter! And to those of you who decided to try this please don't skimp on these measures, it imparts the most delightful flavor to the sandwich. I used the swiss and jalapenos but on Canadian White as I had no French in the house. I did try it with the salsa but much preferred without. Made for New Kids on the Block, a tag game. Thanks, Sandi, I can see this becoming a favorite grilled cheese.