Meat and Cabbage Pasties
- Ready In:
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 lb pork sausage
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups cabbage, coarsely chopped
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 ounce dry yeast
- 2 cups warm water
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 6 1⁄2 cups flour, unsifted
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- In large skillet, crumble meat. Stir over med-high heat until meat begins to brown. Push meat to one side of pan and drain fat.
- Add chopped onions and garlic to the meat. Continue cooking until onion is limp, but not browned.
- Add cabbage, 1/2 cup water, beef buillon cube, oregano and cumin. Stir.
- Cover pan, reduce heat and simmer until cabbage is tender and juices have cooked away, about 20 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup of the warm water. Let stand 5 minutes.
- In large bowl of electric mixer, combine remaining water with salt, sugar, shortening and eggs. Add yeast and two copy of the flour. Beat on medium speed for about 5 minutes, scraping sides of bowl several times.
- Cover bowl and set in a warm place until mixture is bubbly, about 30-40 minutes. Put bowl back on heavy mixer and add 4 more cups flour, one cup at a time. Or you can do this by hand. Knead until soft and resillient, but not sticky, about 5 minutes, adding remaining flour as needed.
- Place in greased bowl, turn over, cover and set in warm place until almost doubled, about 1-1 1/2 hours Punch down dough and cut in half. Put one half back in the bowl and cover.
- Roll the other half of the dough on a lightly floured board into a 12x24 inch rectangle. Cut into 8 pieces, each 4 inches square. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Place about 1/3 cup of the filling on each square. Bring opposite corners of each square to meet in center. Or, you can make it a triangle and pinch 1/4 inch of edges, with water if necessary, to seal. Press with tines of a fork to get a good seal.
- With spatula, transfer each to a greased baking sheet, placing about 1 inch apart. Cover lightly with plastic wrap and let stand in warm place about 20 minutes.
- Unwrap and bake in a 375F oven until golden brown, about 30 minutes.
- Melt tops with melted butter and then let cool slightly before serving. Can be served at room temperature.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!