- Ready In:
1 8" layer cake
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, room temp
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄3 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup mashed, ripe banana
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 3 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, room temp
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temp
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 15 ounces ripe mangoes
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- mango, peeled,pitted,thinly sliced
- fresh mint sprig
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees.
- Lightly butter 3 8" cake pans and dust with flour, tap out excess.
- Whisk first 6 ingredients in a medium bowl to blend.
- Using an electric mixer, beat butter and egg yolk in a large bowl until well blended.
- Gradually beat in sugar.
- Beat in eggs, 1 at a time.
- Beat in sour cream and vanilla.
- Beat in dry ingredients, alternating with the mashed banana.
- Divide mixture evenly between 3 cakepans.
- Bake cakes until tester inserted into center comes ut clean, about 20 minutes.
- Cool cakes in pans on racks 10 minutes.
- Turn cakes out onto racks and cool.
- Place 1 cake layer on a platter.
- Spread 3/4c cream cheese frosting (to follow) over top.
- Spread 1/2 of the mango curd (to follow) over the frosting.
- Top with 2nd cake layer, spread with 3/4 c of frosting and remaining mango curd.
- Top with 3rd cake layer.
- Spoon 3/4 c of the frosting into a pastry bag fitted with a large star tip.
- Spread remaining frosting around sides and over top of the cake.
- Pipe frosting around top edge of cake.
- Arrange mango slices around top edge of cake, garnish with mint.
- Cream Cheese Frosting----------.
- Beat cream cheese, butter and vanilla in a large bowl until light and fluffy.
- Gradually beat in the sugar.
- Cover and refrigerate until firm enough to spread, about 15 minutes.
- Mango Curd----------.
- Puree first 4 ingredients in processor, scraping down sides of work bowl.
- Add yolks, puree 15 seconds.
- Strain through sieve set over a large metal bowl, pressing on solids with back.
- of spatula to release as much puree as possible.
- Discard solids in sieve.
- Set metal bowl over medium saucepan of simmering water.
- Do not allow bottom of bowl to touch water.
- Whisk puree until thickened and thermometer registers 170F, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from water.
- Whisk in butter, 1 piece at a time.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I tried this recipe as the first cake I made from scratch. I was expecting this cake to be so fantastic and beautiful, but it didn't turn out that way. I'm not sure i messed up the banana cake part, but the cake turned out very dry and hard. Also, when I made the layers of frosting then curd, the curd oozed out onto the plate making it so there was barely left on the inside of the cake layer. It is a possibility I could have done something wrong there as well, but I followed the directions and recipe very carefully. The frosting was absolutely amazing, however. I will definitely make this cake again leaving the curd and frosting the same, but using a banana bread recipe rather than the banana cake given here.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Mom to 4 boys, city dweller, eater, craft beer enthusiast, original Recipezaar member.