This recipe, which comes from Romania, is being posted as I get ready to take part in Zaar's World Tour 4! [NOTE as of 21 May 08: I initially posted this as an 'African' recipe, but that's definitely a mistake on my part -- It's Romanian!]
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 ounce goat cheese, crumbled
- In medium saucepan, bring water to boil, then slowly add cornmeal.
- Use wooden spoon to continuously stir the mixture until smooth.
- Remove cornmeal mixture & transfer to a plate, pressing into a pancake.
- To serve, cover with butter, goat cheese &/or sour cream.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
My parents grew up on mamaliga,this was eaten instead of bread. Now it's made just occasionally to eat it with cheese and sour cream or with a chicken stew with onions. Mine is soaking in sour cream and I''ve had it with ricotta too. When I was a child,my dad use to form a ball out of it filled with goat's cheese. By the time I got to eat it,the cheese melted. So this is definetely Romanian.Reply
i am not roumanian, but my former m-i-l was and she made this stuff all of the time. i know for a fact that she was never out of the usa and never on the african continent. i am pretty sure this is a roumanian recipe, not an african one. however, that being said, it sounds good, especially with the goat cheese and i will put it in my round tuit cookbook to tryReply