Mama's Macaroni Salad
photo by *Parsley*
- Ready In:
- Cook macaroni according to package directions using salted water.
- Drain and rinse with cold water to remove the starchy water and cool the pasta quickly.
- Shake the strained to remove as much water as possible from the pasta. You want it as dry as possible but not sticking together.
- Place in large bowl and add the veggies. (This really is best and prettiest when the veggies are diced small.).
- Mix all the dressing ingredients together- I usually put it in an empty jar with a tight fitting lid- like an old mayo jar- and shake-the kids like to do this part! (The dressing can be made ahead of time and stored in refrigerator).
- Pour dressing over pasta and veggies and stir to thoroughly combine.
- NOTE: Holidays: The red and green veggies look great at Christmastime!
- BBQ's/Picnics: Place the bowl on top of a bowl filled with ice to keep it really cold.
- You can use other veggies too- Great way to use up the garden goodies!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This is a good, different-tasting macaroni salad. I liked the combination of vegetables. Yes, the dressing is very sweet, but I added some salt, pepper and dill weed and it balanced it out. It was still sweet, but not too sweet. The dressing gets a little thin, so I'd be sure the full-fat mayo (as I did) and to use the shell macaroni as written and not substitute. I'm glad I tried this and I will make it again with my few changes. Thanx for sharing.
This was good, but too sweet for us. I liked the veggie combination, but the dressing seemed like too much for the amount of pasta and the sweetness was a little overpowering. I was looking for a deli-type macaroni salad and thought this would fit the bill...I so wanted it to work for us. It was nice for a change and I would try it again decreasing the sugar and increasing the pasta. This would be wonderful for someone who likes sweet salads, I'm sure. Thanks!