Mac-Daddy Mac and Cheese
photo by mightyro_cooking4u
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
1 9x13 pan of great mac and cheese
- 2 shallots, peeled
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 pieces bacon, diced, cooked, reserving 1 tablespoon bacon fat
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups heavy cream
- 2 -4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1⁄2 lb monterey jack pepper cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 lb sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb rotini pasta, cooked
- 1⁄2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 -4 sprigs fresh parsley, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Make a little open topped pouch of aluminum foil and place the shallots and garlic in there with a pinch of salt and a bit of olive oil.
- Roast this for 30-45 min or until tender and just starting to brown.
- While that is roasting, place the Thyme in a 2 quart saucepan and pour the Heavy Cream on top of it. Place over Medium heat. **Make sure this does not boil, we only want to get it nice and hot.
- Once the garlic and shallots are done, chop them up and set aside.
- Reheat the bacon fat in a large saute pan and add the garlic and shallots.
- Saute for 1 Minute.
- Add Flour and stir for 1 minute.
- Grab the Thyme with a pair of tongs and throw it away. Then, pour the hot cream into your large saute pan.
- Reduce this mixture by about 1/3.
- Now, stir in your cheeses until the sauce is thick and creamy.
- Season to taste with Salt and Pepper.
- Remove from heat and stir in the Pasta.
- Pour the mixture into a 9x13 baking dish and sprinkle the Bacon, Parsley and Panko over the top.
- Drizzle the remaining olive oil over the top of everything and bake uncovered until lightly browned and bubbly (about 20-25 min).
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I own my own Graphic Design company with my wife and two friends. Our family is always looking for something new and interesting. Cooking is honestly one of my passions and I absolutely love to share my creations with family and friends.