photo by loof751
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1⁄3 cup Malt-o-Meal original hot cereal, uncooked
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup powdered dry milk
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄3 cup molasses (optional)
- Combine dry ingredients and liquid ingredients in separate bowls.
- Add liquid mixture to dry mixture, stirring until combined. Let set for 5 minutes.
- Pour 1/4 cup batter onto hot non-stick griddle. Cook until tops are bubbly and edges look dry. Turn and cook until lightly browned.
I haven't had pancakes in so long and am avoiding white flour so these were GREAT! Mine were fluffy and soft. I made a half recipe and used everything except the molasses. I also used some fresh squeezed OJ in place of some of the water. We enjoyed this with butter, homemade Splenda maple syrup and a fresh fruit compote. YUM! Made for Holiday tag.
These were flatter pancakes, and took a little longer than usual to cook up, but they were good, as all my kids ate them. I used some regular and some maple MOM, so I reduced the cinnamon to 1/2 and left out molasses (personal pref.) I was glad it took powdered milk and water, as I was out of milk! I also added some flax and oat bran and next time will add 2 T protein powder. Might add a couple T of oil too.
Made these as a quick freezable/ toastable breakfast for my 1 year old. Instead of milk, used 1/4 cup whipping cream (unsweetened liquid), and 1.25 cups coconut milk, and about 1/4 water to thin (since both of those liquids are super thick); also skipped the molasses and applesauce because of the sweetness of the coconut milk and cream. She can’t feed herself with them, and loves them dipped in yoghurt or applesauce, and we do too!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Married mother of twins. I very seldom ever use recipes as they are written, always modifying and adjusting them. Many times I will take three or four different recipes and come up with a new recipe based on those. <img src="http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e347/Saturn6666/KiwiDutch/3chefstag1.jpg">