Low Fat Potato Soup With Chives
photo by golddigge-wally
- Ready In:
- 3 medium potatoes
- 1⁄2 onion
- 2 stalks celery
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 15 ounces sodium-free chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 12 ounces fat-free evaporated milk
- 1 cup non fat cheese
- 1 teaspoon chives
- COMBINE onions, celery, broth, pepper and peeled and diced potatoes into large saucepan.
- BOIL then cover and SIMMER for 20 minutes.
- In small bowl, combine 1/4 cup of milk and cornstarch until smooth.
- COMBINE into above mixture.
- ADD remaining milk and BOIL.
- STIR constantly for about 3 minutes until thick.
- REMOVE from heat and stir in cheese.
- Allow mixture to cool slightly before putting it in a blender to make smooth.
- If necessary, reheat via stovetop or microwave 2 minutes until hot.
- TOP with chopped chives or allspice/nutmeg.
- NOTE: Amount if pepper is personal taste.
- NOTE: I mixed a tsp of a chilli recipe from the Golden Door Retreat into it (is fantastic for losing weight and tasty too; 300 grams of chilli peppers (all of it), 2 tbsp apple cider, 2 tsp tamari --- is HOT :).
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This is delicious! Tastes like a rich high fat baked potato soup from a restaurant. I used half the cheese with reduced fat Irish cheddar. Couldn't resist topping it with a dash of salt and low fat bacon bits. The bottom of the pot did burn with the milk though, not sure how to avoid that. What a great soup!
see 3 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>G'day! I'm 51, married, born and bred in NY, am now an Aussie who calls Australia home! I love animals, nature, reading, entering competitions and consider myself S-P-O-N-T-A-N-E-O-U-S and B-U-B-B-L-Y in my personality! I am quite FASCINATED with people and things U-N-I-Q-U-E, JUST like ME! I am VERY P-A-S-S-I-O-N-A-T-E about cooking and trying recipes from all world cusines! I LOVE to eat and enjoy our South Australian red wine! :)I have started a Home Cook blog which I am EXTREMELY P-A-S-S-I-O-N-A-T-E about called What's On The List? and I hope to be able to inspire people around the world one recipe and one event at a time too! http://whatsonthelist.net So come on over and please let me know what you think too!WHOO HOO WHOO HOO!</p>