Low Fat Potato Leek Soup
photo by SpicyWinters
- Ready In:
- 8 cups homemade chicken broth (be sure to skim the fat off first, you can also substitute any homemade broth if desired)
- 6 cups potatoes (peeled and cubed, any variety will do)
- 4 cups leeks (diced, just use the whites with a bit of the green)
- 6 tablespoons butter (can use margarine)
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill leaves (very finely minced)
- 2 teaspoons dried marjoram (optional)
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1. Get a big pot that will fit all the ingredients and warm butter or margarine on medium heat till it melts.
- 2. Toss in the leeks and stir fry on medium for 5 minutes.
- 3. Add in the potato cubes and stir fry on medium for another 5 minutes.
- 4. Add in the broth and bring to a boil on high heat while slowly stirring, then immediately reduce to medium low and allow to simmer for 15 minutes or until the potato cubes are just tender.
- 5. Reduce heat to very low so the soup does not cool off.
- 6. Scoop 50% of the soup with potato cubes into blender and puree.
- 7. Put the pureed soup back in the pot and stir.
- 8. Add in the dill, marjoram, salt and pepper.
- 9. Simmer until ready to serve or put in jars for preserving. (you must use a pressure cooker - 10lbs @ 45 minutes).
- 10. When serving you can garnish with crumbled bacon or chopped dill.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!