Lotus Root Bhaji (Dry Curry)
- Ready In:
- 300 g fresh lotus root (tin or fresh)
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 6-8 pieces each
- 1 large onion, peeled
- 1⁄2 inch piece gingerroot (peeled and grated )
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1⁄8 teaspoon asafoetida powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves (to garnish)
- Wash and scrap the skin of fresh lotus roots. Slice into 1/2 to 1 cm thick rings. Boil in microwave for 5-7 minutes. Tinned ones are already clean and boiled, just drain.
- Heat oil in a pan, add cumin seeds and a pinch of asafoetida powder and let the seeds splutter.
- Add ginger and fry for a few seconds.
- Add all powdered spices, except garam masala, and stir for 10 seconds, to release flavours.
- Add potatoes and lotus roots, stir fry to ensure that all the vegetables are well coated with spices and turn the heat low. If using tinned lotus root, cook potatoes to almost done first and then add lotus roots.
- Cover and cook for 10-15 minutes, until tender. You may need to add a couple of tablespoons of water, to allow potatoes to cook.
- Stir in garam masala.
- Adjust salt and chillies to your own taste.
- Turn heat off and add fresh coriander leaves.
- . Serve with Chapatties or Plain Parathas.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY