Lobia Keema (Pakistani Black Eyed Peas)
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
This is from a recipe card offered by a local supermarket.
- Ready In:
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 3⁄4 cup water, divided
- 1 small tomatoes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 1 (15 ounce) can black-eyed peas, drained
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon green chili pepper, finely chopped
- Heat oil in a large deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, and saute until light golden, then throw in the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Put in 1/4 cup of the water and tomato, then season with salt, red chili powder, cumin, and turmeric. Simmer for 1 minute.
- Add beef and cook for at least 10 minutes, adding another 1/4 cup of the water when it gets dry. When the beef mixture is fully cooked and again dry, pour in the black-eyed peas.
- Cook for 3 minutes. Stir in the remaining 1/4 cup of water, and reduce the heat to low. Cover and simmer until all of the water has evaporated and you can see the oil.
- Remove from the heat and mix in the garam masala. Transfer to a serving dish and sprinkle the lemon juice, cilantro, and green chilies over the top.
- Serve with warm pita/naan, raita (yogurt laced with a dash each of salt, black pepper, cumin powder and chopped green chilies), and finely sliced onion laced with lemon juice.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION