Light and Hearty Cajun Chicken Pasta
This is a quick, easy and delicious one-pot meal which is low in fat but high in taste. This makes a large serving when divided by four and could be enough for six, depending on the appetites.
- Ready In:
- 8 ounces whole wheat linguine or 8 ounces fettuccine
- 1 lb chicken breast, strips
- 3 teaspoons cajun seasoning, divided
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 small red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 small green pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 (8 ounce) package fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 4 green onions, chopped and divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fat-free half-and-half
- Cook the pasta in a large amount of boiling water until al dente; drain and set aside.
- Sprinkle the chicken with 2 t of the Cajun seasoning and mix until coated evenly.
- Spray a large nonstick skillet with nonstick cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat.
- Add the chicken to the hot pan and cook for 2 minutes without stirring.
- When the chicken is lightly browned on one side, stir it to cook the other side (leaving it to cook without stirring helps to keep it from sticking).
- Cook for about 5 more minutes, or until no longer pink inside.
- Remove from the pan and keep warm.
- Spray the pan again with the nonstick cooking spray and add the olive oil.
- Over medium-high heat, add the peppers, mushrooms and 2 of the green onions.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the lemon pepper, basil, garlic powder, remaining teaspoon of Cajun seasoning and the salt.
- Then add the half-and-half, bring to a boil and add the chicken.
- Stir until coated and warm.
- Add the pasta and toss to coat.
- Garnish with remaining green onions.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I replaced the half & half with soy milk. I keep Kosher, meaning no mixing milk & meat. This was still a creamy tasty meal. I used whole wheat spaghetti, because that is what I had in the house. Either my Cajun seasoning has lost it's heat or the seasoning needs to be kicked up a notch, but that is just a personal preference of spicier food.Reply
WOW, WOW and WOW! I can't believe this recipe has only 1 review. This dish deserves 10 stars. I am looking to cook lower in fat and cholesterol due to DH high cholesterol and this recipe has just made my day! Great flavor for less than half the fat and cholesterol of my old recipe. I will make this over and over and over! I used red and yellow peppers instead of green and cut them and the chicken strips into bite size pieces. Loved it Lainey66.Reply
see 5 more