Libyan Marinated Chickpeas
photo by mersaydees
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 1 1⁄8 lbs chickpeas (1/2 kg)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 hard boiled egg yolks, chopped and sieved
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons onions, finely chopped
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, chopped finely
- 3 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons capers
- salt, as required
- Soak the chickpeas overnight in cold water. Add the bay leaf and 2 teaspoons of salt, cover and cook over a medium flame until the chickpeas are tender (about 1 1/2 hours), adding more water if necessary. Drain well.
- In a small mixing bowl put the egg yolks and into this, beat the oil and vinegar with a wire whisk. Stir in the onion, garlic, 2 tablespoons of the parsley, capers and chickpeas. Refrigerate overnight.
- Allow to come to room temperature before serving and just before serving sprinkle over with the remaining parsley.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I love chickpeas and this is a yummy way to fix them. I made the recipe last night and stashed it in the fridge until lunch today and then let it warm some. I currently have some very nice sweet onions and that is what I used. All I had to put it on is red leaf lettuce and that worked nicely. I just love the flavors and low sugar in this. What a great little dish.
Tasted so good and hit the spot. I made a mistake though and served the mixture over watercress and unfortunately the watercress completely overpowered all the flavors in the garbanzo beans. Next time I'll be sure to serve over a less aggressive greens: baby spinach, mild spring greens, etc. I also used scallions as noted in another review. Serve at room temperature for best flavor. Reviewed for Veg Tag/July.
This is so delicious, I'd give it 6 or 7 stars! I made as directed using high-quality extra virgin olive oil and sherry vinegar as the only substitutions. I interpreted the onions as scallions. I think this is best served on at least a bed of greens; I say that because I brought some to work today without serving on greens, and although tasty, it was not as remarkable without the backdrop. Thanks, KateL! Made for Vegetarian Recipe Swap.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I love to eat yummy healthy foods!