Les Madeleines Thumbprint Cookies
- Ready In:
- 1 cup finely chopped almonds
- 1 1⁄2 cups butter, softened
- 3⁄4 cup powdered sugar, plus
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1⁄8 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- jam or fruit preserves
- Lightly toast then cool nuts; chop until very fine and set aside ~ If using a food processor for chopping, allow nuts to cool very thoroughly before chopping them in order to avoid turning them into a paste.
- Cream butter and sugar for 3-4 minutes in a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment until extra light-colored and fluffy; stir in vanilla.
- Whisk together dry ingredients; add gradually to butter mixture, stirring just until (do not overmix) dough comes together; stir in chopped nuts.
- Chill dough if it seems too soft.
- Form dough into 1 1/4" balls and place onto parchment-lined or ungreased baking sheets; indent the top of each ball of dough with your fingertip or with the dampened end of a wooden spoon.
- Bake at 325° for 10-12 minutes or just until the cookies start to turn light golden-brown at the edges; remove from oven and sprinkle lightly with powdered sugar; fill each indentation with a bit of jam or fruit preserves ~ I like to use red raspberry preserves.
- NOTES: Yield becomes 60 cookies when dough is formed into 1" dough balls. And any type of toasted and chopped nuts may be substituted for the almonds.
Join The Conversation
I can't believe I made a cookie THIS good! What a fantastic recipe. I was unsure of cornstarch too at first, but after reading the reviews, couldn't wait to try it. I used hazelnuts. I'm going to fill them with a little orange marmalade and see how they taste. I'm KEEPING this. And when anyone asks my secret, I'll just tell them .."love" Tee hee hee!
Delicious! DH is a huge fan of shortbreads and these are deceivingly light despite the fat from the butter and the nuts. Mine didn't come out as beautiful as Deb's photo but I had just a little extra ground nuts and I went ahead and used them... the higher fat content from the nuts may be the reason why they spread out a little. We made a half-batch and that's plenty. This will be a fun recipe to play with different jams and nuts. Thanks for posting!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
A happily married wife and mom of two young adults, who enjoys a variety of creative pursuits including a love of cooking and baking. I also enjoy gardening, nature, travel, and skiing. <img src="http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/55221/homemadepastaforzaarpage.jpg"> Recipezaar is my favorite cooking website. I can't believe eight years have passed since I first found this wonderful cooking community! Life circumstances have recently kept me away, but I hope to be back soon. I really appreciate those who have kindly reviewed or photographed my recipes ~ <img src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/debsposies/Zaar/thankyou.jpg"> <img src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/debsposies/Zaar/aboutmepagefont.jpg"> <img src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/debsposies/pac2.jpg" hspace="3" vspace="5"><img src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/debsposies/pac6.jpg" hspace="3" vspace="5"> <img src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/debsposies/pac5.jpg" hspace="4" vspace="5"><img src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/debsposies/pac1.jpg" hspace="3" vspace="5"> <img src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/debsposies/pac3.jpg" hspace="4" vspace="5"><img src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/debsposies/pac4.jpg" hspace="4" vspace="5"> <img src="http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/ZaarNicksMom/PACsticker-Adopted.jpg" hspace="0" vspace="4"><img src="http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/ZaarNicksMom/Animation6.gif" hspace="0" vspace="4"> <img src="http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/World%20Tour/ZWT2.gif" hspace="1" vspace="5"> <img src="http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/ParticipationBanner.jpg" hspace="1"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/craze-e2banner.jpg" hspace="2"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/Dollar%20Contest/DiningonaDollarParticipant.jpg" vspace="3" hspace="4"> <img src="http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/RSC%20Banners/RSC9-Debs.jpg"> <img src="http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/RSC%20Banners/RSC10-Debs.jpg"> <img src="http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/RSC%20Banners/RSC11-Debs.jpg"><img src="http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/RSC%20Banners/RSC12-DebsRecipes.jpg" vspace="7"> <img src="http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/RSC%20Lucky%2013/ParticipationSticker.jpg" hspace="8" vspace="3"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/sticker.jpg" hspace="8" vspace="4">