Lemon-Cream Sandwich Cookies
photo by TaterBug
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest, finely grated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks softened to room temp)
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice, fresh squeezed
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest, finely grated
- 3 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks softened room temp)
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- Using the back of a spoon mash lemon zest and salt to a paste in a medium bowl.
- Add butter. Using an electric mixer, beat until fluffy.
- Add powdered sugar in 4 batches, beating after each addition until well blended.
- Boil lemon juice and lemon zest in small pan until the mixture is reduced to two tablespoons, this takes about four minutes, watch it closely.
- Pour into a small bowl and let cool.
- Sift flour, salt, and baking soda into a small bowl.
- Using an electric mixer beat butter in a large bowl until fluffy.
- Add sugar, beat until well blended.
- Beat in two whole eggs, one at a time, then beat in two egg yolks.
- Beat in lemon juice mixture.
- Add in dry ingredients and stir until well blended but do not overstir!
- Cover dough and chill until very firm, at least four hours and up to one day.
- Preheat oven to 375°F Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Roll out dough on lightly floured surface to scant 3/8 inch thickness.
- Using 2 inch round cookie cutter, cut out cookies.
- Transfer cookies to baking sheets and bake one pan at a time for best results.
- Bake for 12 minutes or until edges are golden brown.
- Transfer to racks and cool completely, repeat with remaining dough.
- Spread 2 tablespoons of filling on the flat side of one cookie. Top with another cookie.
- Repeat process to make your sandwich cookies.
- Can be made 2 days ahead.
- Store airtight in the refrigerator.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Just added my first child to my family in June 2008. I am learning to be a good mom and homemaker and it is a real challenge, but a great one! I love to cook and try new ideas. I also love the outdoors, travel, live basketball, running, hiking...etc!! I am a southern girl at heart and I love being a housewife. I love all types of foods and I love to re-make recipes into a more "healthy" versions.