- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 1 (16 ounce) can beets, shredded (can use Jewish borscht too)
- 2 medium potatoes
- 1 (16 ounce) package coleslaw mix
- 1 small onion
- 2 -3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons bacon bits
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 dash salt (to taste)
- 5 -6 black peppercorns
- 1 dash pepper (to taste)
- 1 garlic clove
- dill (as a garnish)
- Cut potatoes into small cubes.
- Add chicken stock to pot, then add cubed potatoes.
- While potatoes are cooking, brown onions in oil in a skillet.
- When potatoes are almost done, add cole slaw mix, bay leaves, peppercorns, garlic clove.
- Let cook for 10-15 minutes; then add browned onions and bacon bits.
- Add tomato paste next and let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add beets, along with lemon juice, to prevent the beet color from fading.
- If you find the soup too sour from the lemon juice, you can use sugar to correct flavor.
- In the end add dill, salt and pepper to taste and turn off the stove.
- Let the borsch brew for another 10 minutes.
- Serve the borsch with sour cream the next day --- best to refrigerate overnight.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!