Lamb W/ Yoghurt, Coconut Milk & Almond Masala (Badami Gosht)
- Ready In:
- 1hr 28mins
- 1 teaspoon saffron thread
- 2 cups plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 cup ghee
- 4 cinnamon sticks (1 inch long)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cardamom seed
- 6 whole cloves
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground red chili pepper
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 3⁄4 cup boiling water
- 1⁄2 cup water, cold
- 2 lbs lamb, cubed
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted almonds
- Drop the saffron threads into a small bowl or cup, add 1/3 of the boiling water and soak for at least 10 minutes.
- Pour the saffron and its soaking liquid into a deep bowl and stir in the yoghurt, caraway seeds and salt.
- Add the lamb and turn it about with a spoon until all the pieces are evenly coated.
- Marinate the lamb at room temperature for about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the almonds and the rest of the boiling water in a bowl, and soak for 10 minutes.
- Pour the almonds and their soaking water into a blender and blend until you have a smooth paste.
- Set aside.
- In a heavy casserole, heat the ghee over moderate heat until fairly hot.
- Add the cinnamon, cardamom, and cloves, stir for a minute or so, then add the onions, garlic and ginger.
- Lifting and turning them constantly, fry for 7 to 8 minutes until the onions are soft and golden brown.
- With a slotted spoon, remove the lamb from the marinade, add the meat to the casserole, and stir over moderate heat until it browns evenly.
- Stir in the marinade and the cold water, then add the almond puree and red pepper and cook for 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Pour in the coconut mild, bring to a boil, and simmer partially covered for 20 minutes, or until the lamb is tender.
- To serve, discard the cinnamon and cloves, mound the lamb attractively on a deep heated platter, and pour the sauce over it.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<img src="http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b158/bella_donata/My%20Art/Recipezaar/goldsparkle.png" border="0" alt="Made by Bella14ragazza">