Kurt Gutenbrunner's Potato and Cucumber Salad
- Ready In:
- 1 English cucumber, sliced paper thin
- 2 lbs fingerling potatoes (or Austrian Crescent potatoes)
- 1 pinch caraway seed
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon canola oil (you can leave this out) or 1 tablespoon sunflower oil (you can leave this out)
- 2 tablespoons sour cream, creme fraiche (optional or use less) or 2 tablespoons plain yogurt (optional or use less)
- Put cucumber slices in a bowl and toss with 2 teaspoons salt and set aside.
- Put potatoes in saucepan and cover with water and add a generous pinch of salt and caraway seeds.
- Bring to a boil and cook until potatoes are just tender.
- Drain, peel, and slice into a bowl while still warm.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- In a saucepan, bring stock and onion to a simmer.
- Add to potatoes, and toss gently until silky and lightly thickened.
- Fold in mustard, vinegar, and oils.
- Drain cucumbers well, squeezing out excess liquid. (Liquid can be used in soups or sauces.).
- Fold cucumbers into potato salad.
- Add more salt, pepper, and vinegar if needed.
- Add sour cream, creme fraiche, or yogurt if wanted.
- Serve as first course or side dish.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I love to try new recipes, and this is a wonderful site to find new additions. I rarely make the same thing twice because it's so much fun to try something different. My life long dream is to travel the world and eat my way around it.