Kouloura (Cypriot Bread Ring)
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
This Cypriot bread is also popular in Greece.
- Ready In:
- 3 cups plain flour
- 1 packet active dry yeast
- 1⁄2 cup water, warm
- 1⁄2 cup milk, warm
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- sesame seeds
- Sift the flour into a bowl and warm in a slow oven.
- Dissolve the yeast in 1/4 cup warm water, add the remaining water, milk, salt and sugar.
- Remove about 1 cup flour from the bowl and reserve.
- Pour yeast mixture into centre and stir in enough flour to thicken the liquid.
- Cover and leave in a warm place until frothy.
- Stir in the rest of the flour in the bowl, adding oil gradually, then beating for about 10 minutes by hand.
- Knead in the reserved flour by hand either in the bowl or on a board.
- Just add enough to stop the dough sticking and knead until smooth and sainy- about 10 minutes.
- shape into a ball.
- Oil the bowl, add dough smooth side down and turn over so that the top is oiled.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and leave in a warm spot until doubled in size.
- Punch down and turn onto a lightly floured board.
- flatten out into a circle and then roll up firmly.
- roll back and forth with palms of hands so that it form a thich rope 50 cm long, tapering in at each end.
- Lift onto a greased baking sheet and form into a ring, overlap ends and tuck under loaf.
- cover with a cloth and leave to rise in a warm place.
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Brush bread with water and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake in a moderately hot oven for 30 minutes until golden brown and cooked.
- Cool on a rack.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION