Kicked up Spiced Carrots
photo by Bergy
- Ready In:
- 2 lbs carrots (about 12 large)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 -3 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne (to taste)
- Quarter carrots lengthwise and then cut into about 2-1/2-inch pieces.
- Heat butter in a heavy skillet over medium heat.
- Add in the carrot sticks and sauté uncovered for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until just slightly softened.
- Add in brown sugar stirring until the sugar is dissolved and melted.
- Stir in water, lemon juice, salt, cinnamon and cayenne; toss to combine and simmer covered until the carrots are desired tenderness and the liquid is reduced to a glaze (about 8-10 minutes).
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
These spicy little guys were a nice change of pace from the usual glazed carrots. I halved the recipe and it worked out fine. I used only 1/4 cup of water, but I might use a little less next time. By the time the glaze cooked down, my carrots were a little softer than I like them. But I might like them with a little more crunch than most.
Can't go wrong with one of your recipes! These were good! Especially for someone that does not like cooked carrots. I did cut these different made carrot pennies instead of sticks. But that did not change the flavor. I will fix these again and might add some lemon zest next time. Thank you Carol! Shirl
see 2 more reviews