Kabu -- Japanese Turnip Pickles
- Ready In:
- 12hrs 15mins
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup vinegar (white or rice vinegar works best)
- 1⁄4 1/4 cup honey or 1/4 cup agave syrup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 red jalapeno chile, sliced lengthwise (wear gloves to slice and remove seeds)
- 1 1⁄2 inches piece fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1 bunch Japanese turnip
- Bring water, vinegar, sweetener and salt to a boil in a nonreactive saucepan (if you are using granulated sugar, stir until dissolved).
- Cool and add in jalapeno, ginger and garlic.
- Quarter the turnips and slice thin and place in a medium glass bowl.
- Pour the liquid over the turnips, cover the bowl and chill at least overnight to let the flavors meld.
- Will keep up to one week.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Sleeper hit at the Halloween party! Served as a condiment to braised beef tongue alongside Willdly Pink Pickled onions and Horseradish cream - the crispy mildly pickled, mildly hot baby turnips were absolutely wonderful - a quart jar was demolished by a party of 15. Keeper recipe - thanks for posting!